America Divided – Similar To Today!
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
— George Santayana (1863–1952)
Prior to the Civil War, America was divided into 5 categories:
- Radical Northern Republicans whose attitude was ‘slavery is wrong–end it now’. They believed all human lives mattered, whether on or off a plantation, and all were equal, created in the image of God. This group included abolitionists, the Underground Railroad, anti-slavery preachers, and, unfortunately, the fringe John Brown who shot at slave owners.
- Moderate Republicans whose attitude was that slavery is wrong but the country should transition out of it gradually over time.
- Practical Neutral Voters who could care less about the value of human life. They were more concerned about their pocketbook, jobs, wages, economy and tax-tariff issues.
- Moderate Southern Democrats whose attitude was ‘slavery is wrong, but it was settled law and the nation should just live with it. People should have the choice whether or not to own a slave–just treat your slaves nice’.
- Extreme Southern Democrats whose attitude was ‘slavery is good and should be expanded into new Territories and States’. They wanted Northerners who were morally opposed to slavery to be forced to participate in supporting it through the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850.
Interestingly, these are similar to the categories America is divided into today:
- Pro-Life Republicans whose attitude is ‘abortion is wrong–end it now’. They believe all human lives matter, whether in or out of a womb, and that all are equal, created in the image of God. There are also fringe “John Brown types” who shoot at abortion clinics.
- Establishment Republicans whose attitude is to reluctantly agree to a gradual limitation of abortions.
- Practical Neutral Voters who could care less about human life. They avoid social issues, being concerned only about their pocketbook–“It’s the economy, stupid.”
- Pro-Choice Democrats whose attitude is that abortion is “settled law” and the nation should just live with it – just have it be “safe, legal, and rare.”
- Extreme Democrats whose attitude is that abortion is good and that it should be expanded though nationalized healthcare and global U.N. initiatives. They support the selling of aborted baby body parts, and insist on forcing those who are morally opposed to abortion to participate in supporting it, even suing Hobby Lobby and the Little Sisters of the Poor.