Astrologyby Chuck Missler
It seems astonishing that in our "enlightened" culture, despite our space-age sophistication, many people still believe in astrology! A Gallup poll concluded that 55% of teenagers believe in astrology; 1220 of the 1750 newspapers include a horoscope column of some kind to serve their readers. Many simply dismiss this as a harmless form of entertainment, feeding their curiosity. However, in the Old Testament it was a form of divination and a capital crime: practicing astrology was punishable by death!1
Empirical Results: It Doesn't Work
Ten Questions for the Astrologers 3
1) What is the likelihood that 1/12th of the world's population is having the same kind of day today?
2) Why is the moment of birth, not conception, crucial for astrology? [Is that why identical twins always have the same personality?!]
3) If the mother's womb can keep out astrological influences until birth, can we do the same with a cubicle of steak?
4) If astrologers are as good as they claim, why aren't they richer? (Ex: stock market, etc. How many foresaw Black Monday, October 1987? None.)
5) Are all horoscopes done before the discovery of the three outermost planets incorrect (Uranus, 1781; Neptune, 1846; Pluto, 1930)?
6) Shouldn't we condemn astrology as a form of bigotry? (i.e., refusing to hire a Leo or date a Virgo, etc.)
7) Why do different schools of astrology disagree so strongly with each other? (...precession of the Earth's axis, how many planets and celestial objects to be included, allocation of personality traits, etc. No convergence of consensus.)
8) If the astrological influence is carried by any known force, why do the planets dominate? [The obstetrician who delivers the child turns out to have about six times the gravitational pull of Mars and about 2,000 billion times its tidal force (less mass, but a lot closer!)]
9) If astrological influence is carried by an unknown force, why is it independent of distance? [The importance of Mars in a horoscope is identical whether the planet is on the same side of the sun as the Earth or seven times farther away on the other side, etc.]
10) If astrological influences don't depend on distance, why is there no astrology of stars, galaxies, and quasars? [Doesn't the omission of Rigel, the Crab pulsar, and M31 render a horoscope incomplete?]
Danger: don't play around with things that are expressly prohibited in the Word of God. They are not just manifestations of ignorance, or harmless "entertainments." They are occultic and very dangerous. They are "entries" for malevolent influences that are out to destroy the very future you're inquiring into! God means what He says and says what He means. You have access to far more powerful - and reliable - supernatural resources in the Holy Spirit, which has expressly been given to you if you are, indeed, in Christ. Do your homework. Your eternity depends on it.
* * *
A Halloween Tale: Consulting the Witch at Endor - Chuck Missler
An Urgent Resource for Today: The Danger of False Ideas - Colossians - Chuck Missler